New York, New York
Why We Love Her
Karen's work explores the human identity and human relationships in all their myriad forms. She highlights how we navigate through our lives, choosing to share our journey with some while rejecting the advances of others and constantly changing our surroundings. This can be scene in the way she highlights the human form in her largely figurative work. For example, in Artsicle Study Twelve (below left), a black background emphasizes the quiet camaraderie of the man and woman lying down next to each other. In Silk Screen 3 (below right), the blank silhouettes of people in motion bring to mind a very modern sense of purpose, rush, and isolation.
1. Name: Karen Rosenkrantz
2. Hometown: Boston
3. Favorite piece on Artsicle that's not your own: anything by Sophie Staerk. She is my "studiomate".
4. First job: A nanny. At age 16 I ripped off a door to our family car and I had to get a job to pay my father back.
5. Favorite New York restaurant: Malatesta Trattoria, nice food, perfect ambiance, and quite affordable.
6. If you could have a super power, what would it be: Flying. I still dream sometimes that I can fly.
7. Dream vacation spot: anywhere with a stack of books and an espresso machine and no TV or Internet.